Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Domesticating Cali part II

My domestication seems to be going quite well. Today I not only made Peanut Butter and Banana Muffins (with carrot) and Pancakes (with Sweet Potato) but I also made maple glazed carrots and cleaned my kitchen! I'm on a roll!!
 My brain must've been in non-idiot domestic mode because I realized that since I had the carrots out for the muffins I might as well steam the rest to make the glazed carrots to see if H likes them. My mom (and dad) used to make them for me when I was little and I always think of them. Not as good as theirs but what are ya gunna do.

The pancakes are delicious! H loved them and so did I. The middle is a little mushier because of the potato but it wasn't in a bad way...and they are so easy to make. I poked holes with a fork in the potatoes and put them in a microwave to cook (less dishes to clean.) Then after I pureed them I just added the rest of the ingredients to the food processor to mix them together. I like to freeze them in zip locks with a piece of wax paper in between each cake..like so:
 
Little Miss Taste Tester ::enter cookie monster eating noise here::

 THOSE are my Peanut Butter and Banana Muffins...yea, they look awesome and they taste awesome. A glass of milk and its perfection. Now I have to try the Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins in the book bc these were so good. I couldn't find the recipe online and since I love you all just so damn much (and felt bad showing you how good they look without telling you how to make them) I decided to give you the gist..

Peanut Butter and Banana Muffins
makes 12 muffins
1 cup packed brown sugar (light or dark-i used dark)
1/2 cup natural peanut butter (spray the measuring cup with cooking spray to allow the pb to slide out)
1/2 cup carrot or cauliflower puree (i used carrot and you cant taste it a bit)
1/2 cup banana puree 
1 large egg white
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
350 degree oven
Mix 1/2cup brown sugar (you only do half now bc you add the other half right at the end to achieve a nice crunchy top), pb, purees & egg.
In a separate bowl or zip lock bag mix flour, powder, soda and salt. add to wet mixture and stir until just combined (batter will be lumpy-do not over mix.) Add remaining 1/2cup b.sugar and mix 1-2times (not to combine.)

Divide batter into pan (i use an ice cream scoop so they are all the same size and well-portioned) and bake until a toothpick comes out clean (15-20mins.) I froze half and kept half in a Tupperware container. 
a tip from a hasbeen pastry chefs asst: most recipes say to test with a toothpick and take product out when it comes out clean...most people take this too far and will keep baking if crumby bits are on the pick..it is actually best to take them out at this point bc they will be nice and moist. Its possible that this is common knowledge but lets pretend its not and I just taught you something valuable.

So all in all Deceptively Delicious is fully delivering. I highly recommend checking it out and if you don't want to buy it just do what I have been known to do..go to the store and copy down the recipe.
GO FORTH AND EAT BAKE! 

Our Giveaway ends tonight so make sure to get your entry in NOW! 

4 comments:

  1. YUM!! Clear me a spot on the floor, I'm coming over to be taste tester #2!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I am a new follower from the Mom Bloggers Club

    Kari @ http://shining2save.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL.. your baby is so flippin beautiful. I mean really, girl. How lucky are you? And them muffins don't look too shabby either.

    Come to my blog and enter to win a $40.00 CSN gift card. Easy to enter, GREAT odds, and they have like 200 stores. Take care, Keri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peanut butter and banana, not a combination that I would've thought of but they sound delicious!

    P.S. Your baby girl is adorable!

    ReplyDelete